Join a COVID-19 clinical trial
Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) can be more severe in older people, and people with underlying health conditions. At the moment, there are no specific treatments that we know definitely work against COVID-19.
PRINCIPLE is a trial, being run by the University of Oxford, with the aim to find treatments for COVID-19 for people in the community who are at higher risk of complications. They want to find medicines that can help people get better quickly and stop them needing to go to hospital.
You could be eligible to join this trial if:
- You are experiencing symptoms that are likely to be caused by a COVID-19 infection, for fewer than 15 days:
- a new continuous cough – this means coughing a lot for more than an hour, or 3 or more coughing episodes in 24 hours (if you usually have a cough, it may be worse than usual),
- a high temperature – this means you feel hot to touch on your chest or back (you do not need to take your temperature)
- You are aged 50 to 64 with a pre-existing illness
- You are aged 65 and above
Why take part
By taking part in this trial, you will be contributing towards the understanding of how COVID-19 can be treated, and how the symptoms progress.
This may or may not help to reduce the duration and severity of symptoms when people fall ill, with the hope to reduce the burden on the NHS.