Shorter stays in hospital, revolutionary digital transformation and significant investment into the South Wing site are all among a list of aims included in the new Three Year Plan launched by Bedford Hospital.
The Trust’s vision is to provide excellent hospital and integrated care services to the people of Bedfordshire – the Plan sets out a comprehensive summary of their strategy to meet this vision.
There are a number of noticeable ambitions within the Three Year Plan some of which include:
- Significant investment into the South Wing site so more patients receive the care they need in the right place in modernised settings
- Upgrading two theatres and day surgery (subject to Capital Funding)
- Development to children’s A&E
- Brand new Learning and Education Centre
- Undertake the single largest digitisation in the history of the Trust with the Global Digital Exemplar (GDE) Fast Follower Programme. This will move the Trust towards a digitally enabled and quality assured future, aligned with providing safe, effective and personalised care for every patient, every time.
- Develop more ambulatory services, such as same day emergency care, to maintain and increase the number of patients they can appropriately treat and support to go home
- Investment and increased focus on strengthening and developing their workforce – making Bedford Hospital the employer of choice
- Focus on recruitment as service growth and develop A&E, Maternity and Paediatrics
- Developing new staff roles and a strong leadership culture
- Create a modernised learning and education environment for our staff, students and volunteers
- Improving services and patient experiences to get a ‘Good’ CQC rating upon the next inspection.
Stephen Conroy, Chief Executive of Bedford Hospital said,
“The demand for care locally is increasing as the population grows with patient’s needs becoming more complex to manage. Our Plan outlines how we will address the significant challenges and improve our local health service”.
“We have a fantastic workforce, have a strong track record in patient safety and quality and are a well led Trust; we want to maintain and build upon this. Our Three Year Plan outlines our commitment to invest in our high skilled and caring staff and students so that we are consistently attracting and retaining the best workforce and harnessing the talent of future healthcare leaders. Our collaborative working with partners, including the Luton and Dunstable NHS Hospital will continue with plans to move to an integrated pathology service in 2020 further strengthening our ability to provide sustainable, quality and efficient healthcare services to our patients.”